Building People. Spreading Hope.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Joy of Giving


One of the greatest pleasures in life is in our giving. We resemble God the most when we’re in the posture of giving. Giving is not only for the rich and it is not only about money. Giving is a lifestyle that God wants all of us to experience.

Many people have the idea that we have to be rich before we can give. You don’t give because you’re rich; you’re rich because you give. Giving is so much more than money.

In my early twenties when I was learning the principle of giving I didn’t have a lot of money. I remember how I’d buy packs of chewing gum and share with my friends and even strangers around me. I say this humbly but since then God has made me a conduit to pass millions of dollars and touch countless lives.

We can give people our time. The best example that comes to mind is teachers. They invest their lives to invest in our children. If you’re a mother, you’re a teacher. A teacher’s reward is not always reflected in her salary but the lives she touches that go on to become world changers. When we invest our time in visiting the widow and the elderly, we’re giving them the gift of life. If you volunteer anywhere, you’re an angel to someone! You’re the hands and feet of Jesus. Giving of our time is the best gift we can give because time cannot be replaced.

We can give by sharing our influence. I was meeting with a friend yesterday. He’s a banker. He has shown much interest in our ministry. As we shared our hearts together, he revealed to me how his finances have been stretched recently. He was distraught about not being able to do more. I told him, “I don’t need your money. I need your influence.” Immediately his eyes lit up. We sat there discussing all the different people he can introduce to our ministry. He left feeling like a million dollar man simply because he took time to share his influence.

Another way we can give is by speaking into people’s lives. A college student was drifting along in life when Mrs. Green confronted the young man. His mother owned a beauty parlor where Ruth Green was a regular. The young man came to visit his mother when Mrs. Green looked at him and asked for a piece of paper. On the piece of paper she wrote, “You’re going to travel the world and preach to millions of people.” Son of a Pentecostal preacher, today Denzel Washington is speaking to millions simply because Mrs. Green spoke greatness over his life! Washington says, “I still carry the paper with me today!” Denzel is one of the few Christian men who stand tall in Hollywood. Anyone can complement someone when they’ve made it in life. Let’s speak life into people who are struggling, suffering and in despair. Jesus was a friend of the sinners.

A great way to give is to make people feel better emotionally. I feel reluctant to share this in public but whenever I see a little baby or a toddler I have a habit of stopping look at the child, smile big and say to the parent, “Today, I’ve seen an angel!” I know it doesn’t sound very macho so I never stop long enough to see the expression on the parents’ faces but you can only imagine! We send people in orbit simply by speaking a kind word. Christ speaks when you speak. He touches people when you do.

Friends, the joy of giving is priceless. We all can give in so many ways. Some of you reading this maybe needing to be on the receiving end of giving. The best way you can receive is to give. Write a hand written note to encourage somebody. Make that call. Bake a cake. Mow the lawn of your neighbor. Visit the elderly – your parents! Speak kind words. Give a recommendation. Share your influence. When you do, you’ll be amazed how God will return the favor to you. Let’s change our world by our giving.

Live simply so that other people can simply live!

“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it” (Proverbs 3:27 NAS).

Click Here to Experience the Joy of Giving: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment