Building People. Spreading Hope.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Change Your Perspective

 
Several of my friends are going through extreme challenges right now. Each one’s situation is unique and heartbreaking. However, I try to gently remind them to keep the right perspective in the midst of their trouble.
 
In my recent trip to Asia I started hiccupping. I don’t know about you but I find it very irritating. For the first couple of minutes I wasn’t too worried but when it continued for over an hour, I got very agitated. Everybody tried to give me various remedies but nothing worked. I was supposed to talk to the kids at my brother’s orphanage so I prayed and it got worse! Finally I realized what was going on. I had focused my entire attention to this stupid hiccup! I decided not to put so much weight on such a small thing. I went on to talk to the children and it just made them laugh to hear me hiccup every twenty seconds. I don’t think they learnt any lesson that day but they certainly had a lot of fun watching me. My hiccup continued for one and a half day but as soon as I changed my perspective about this small setback, I was able to enjoy life.
 
There are times life doesn’t seem fair. People we don’t like get qualified for their new home. A new believer gets healed of a dreaded disease when we’ve been praying to be healed of ours for years. People at work, junior level staff get the contract and the commission. We cannot stop every unfair thing to happen to us but if we have the right perspective, God will pay us back; we can be productive and go on in life.
 
In the scripture, Paul goes on to list some of his troubles. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea.” Then He goes on to say that these were light affliction compared to what Christ suffered for us. While in prison Paul wrote more than half of the New Testament! He wrote, “Rejoice and again I say rejoice!”
 
Wait a minute! Did he say rejoice? You mean we can be happy? Yes. Learn to laugh at your troubles. When we change our perspective, like my hiccup, we can still find ways to laugh about. Truth is most of us are fighting something in life. When we focus on what’s right with us we will quickly forget the wrongs. I can assure you someone would love to exchange your life for theirs. One man’s nightmare is another man’s dream!
 
I’m not trying to minimize your pain and suffering but I know we cannot change every negative situation in our lives. God allows them to sharpen us and take us to a new level. The scripture says, “Since the Lord is directing our steps, why try to figure out everything that happens along the way.” Quit questioning God and start trusting Him more.
 
One thing we can do in our difficult times is to magnify God instead of the problem. When we talk about magnifying something, it doesn’t change its original size. We cannot make God bigger than what He already is. But when we focus on His goodness, we make Him look bigger in our own eyes. It increases our faith!
 
Friend, if you change your perspective you can find something to praise God for. You may not like the commute to work but you can be thankful for a car. You might not get along with your co-worker but you can be grateful for a job. You may not like to clean the pile of laundry but you can thank God for your wonderful family. You may be stuck in a wheelchair but you can appreciate that you can sleep every day.
 
Another practical thing we can do to change our perspective is to talk less about our troubles and speak more about our victories. When we exalt what God is doing in our lives we will draw in more of His favor. When we constantly broadcast all our troubles we’re giving our power over to the enemy. Instead of complaining, make a list of all the things God has blessed you with. When you take the time to praise God for what He has done He will make sure to take care of your current trouble.
 
Change your perspective. You still have plenty you can thank God for. Focus on the areas you can enjoy life. Make plans, help someone in need and do your best to celebrate and go on living a normal life. When you change your perspective, everything will begin to shift in your life. I’m praying for you!
 
“Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all” (Psalm 34:9 NAS).
Click Here to Join a Mission Trip to China: www.buildinternational.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment