Building People. Spreading Hope.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Be Good to People


Whenever I’m not traveling and ministering, I attend a men’s group in my city. Wingmen have been a great place for fellowship, encouragement and accountability. They’re doing a great job helping men find their purpose and responsibility in life.

Every other week we meet at a local fast food restaurant. Typically a group of ten or so men gather together for coffee, sharing and a time of inspiration from the Word of God. It is a great ministry promoting Christ-centered, masculine relationships!

On this particular morning I saw one of our servers looking a little discouraged. Eva is a young lady working her way through college. I had met her before and gotten to know her story. When I saw her early that morning, I felt God speaking to my heart, “Do something dazzling for Eva today.” My first response was a surprise! I tried to concentrate on the meeting but the feeling wouldn’t go away. Being the great man of faith I am, I was hesitant to say anything to anybody. Finally at the end of the meeting I couldn’t resist anymore. I blathered out to the group and proposed that we do something special for Eva.

I started by volunteering with a $20 commitment borrowed from a friend and asked others to join me if they felt being good to Eva. Everyone was excited and pitched in. We called Eva and asked her to sit down with us for a few minutes. She was hesitant but obliged. The men in our group explained how we appreciate her service every time we’re there. Some spoke life into her and told her that she was going to do great things for our Lord. Yet others blessed her by praying for her. Then we gave her the money. Again, she was reluctant but one of us stuffed $71 in her jacket pocket. You could imagine the excitement in her eyes! We were thrilled to have made an impact upon a young person’s life that day.

I understand that we cannot always make a big impact in people. But its life’s tiny miracles added together that makes a great difference. Most of the time we’re so programmed to go about our day without thinking. We go to the grocery store but never see at the person standing behind the check-out. We pass by a maintenance worker in the office building but never say hello! We come home from work but do not take the time to kiss our loved one. We spend years living next door to a neighbor or sit in a church next to people whom we never get to know. Why is that?

It is human to feel awkward taking the first step and reach out to someone. We fear what others will think. We rationalize ourselves to be good to people. But this is a very small way to live. Today I want to encourage you to be good to people wherever you go. See the person you’re dealing with. Look into their eyes. Say a kind word. Connect someone. Put a big tip in their hand. Say a prayer for the person who is struggling. This is what our Master did. Before He healed the sick, He went about doing good to others! We’re most like God when we give of ourselves to others.

“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke 6:38 NIV).

Change the World with the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment