Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

God, Money and You


When I’m running errands, often I take my twelve year son Daniel in the car. This is the time to discuss anything from Legos to rockets. I see it as my opportunity to teach him Life Lessons. Yesterday I asked him, “Daniel, tell me everything you know about money.” We’ve been learning about money since he was five years old. I thought you may want to listen in to our conversation!

Every dollar is an employee. Over a time of our lives, God gives us unbelievable amount of resources. It is our ability to be good steward of resources that gives us great power and influence. When we think treat every dollar as an employee we will be more conservative in doling out money to vendors.

There are three common ways to get money - working hard, praying by faith and investing wisely. If we are not willing to work hard we can be sure to stay poor. God does not reward lazy people. When we work hard (and smart) we can also ask God to bring money into our lives to be a blessing to others. When we invest our money, it breeds more of the same.

We have to tell money where to go. It is called budget. The first thing we do with money is to give back at least 10% to expand God’s Kingdom on earth. Immediately after that we take at least 10% or more to put in the savings account. Then we pay ALL our bills. If there’s any money left, we spend 10% of it for entertainment and “felt” needs.

Bless Israel. Find some way to be a blessing to God’s chosen people. Money is definitely one thing that we can bless Israel with.

Credit card is only for emergency. The Bible says the borrower is the servant to the lender. There’s only one simple rule about using credit cards. If you don’t have the means to pay it back every month or by the end of its assigned time, don’t use it.

I know these are simple money rules but I was proud of my son to get it right that took me decades to learn.

Listen to what God’s Word says about being a good steward. “Well done, good and trustworthy servant! Since you've been trustworthy with a small amount, I'll put you in charge of a large amount. Come and share your master's joy” (Matthew 25:23 ISV)!

Change the World with the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment