Building People. Spreading Hope.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Have a Heart of Compassion


The longer we live the easier it gets to either harden our hearts or soften our attitude towards people. Part of the way God made us by design is to have compassion for others.

We don’t see it behind the facade people put on but deep inside, people go through hurt, lack, loneliness and misery. If we’re to be like Jesus, we’ve to live as a healer. The only way we can know about people’s innermost struggles and anguish is to have a heart of compassion.

Recently I was having a meeting with a young person I’d just met. I wanted to learn more about him. He is in his mid-twenties. The man works hard and loves his young bride. They’d moved here from another city in search of jobs. As we talked, I learned that they’re struggling financially. I dug a little deeper and found out that this Sunday is the wife’s birthday. The young man loves his wife dearly but he didn’t have enough money to take his bride out for a nice evening. I asked him, “How much money do you have in your pocket?” He told me that he had received $40 from selling his own blood just before he came to see me so that he could give his wife a nice birthday. I couldn’t hold back my tears. Looking at him you’d never guess that the young man is struggling financially. Usually I never carry cash in my pocket but that day I had a couple of hundred dollars in my pocket that I was able to help him with. Friend, let’s have a heart of compassion like our Lord Jesus. Church, let’s stop playing games and help those in need. Our churches will explode in spite of persecution as we see in Asia when we learn to genuinely meet the needs of the people. Don’t showcase the pastor or the worship team or the multi-million dollar facilities. Meet the needs of the hurting people and Jesus will be present in every meeting!

History confirms Jesus as one of the greatest person ever lived. One of the things that make Jesus so amazing is his compassion for people. Having a tender heart is a key to getting God’s blessing and favor in our own lives. The Bible says we’re liars if we say we love God whom we cannot see and not love our fellowmen all around us. C. S. Lewis said, “The more often we feel without acting the less we’ll be able to act and in the long run the less we’ll be able to feel.” If you don’t have a heart of compassion, you’ve lost everything! I love helping people. It keeps my own heart tender towards God. If I don’t help the people, God will still bring others to help them but I’ll miss out on the blessings. I’m greedy with God’s blessings!

Today, I was shopping for a guitar for our worship team in a music store. The store was busy. A young associate passing by asked me, “Can I help you?” I said, “Sure.” He was very kind and we struck up a conversation. He started mentioning Christians worship groups like Hillsong and such. I asked him, “Do you play in the worship team?” He said, “Yes, I used to play for my church when I used to go to college.” I asked, “Where do you go to church now?” He replied, “Oh, I don’t.” A little more probing revealed that his parents were missionaries. But he got hurt by the church and other Christians. I took time to hear his story right there in the store. I encouraged him and told him to not give up on God. I got his phone number and told him I was going to invite him out to lunch and have him play music for the Lord again. He was very encouraged and said, “I’ve never met a real Christian like you. You gave me a lot to think about.” I left the store knowing that God will turn this man around for His glory. How did it all start? A little bit of compassion goes a long way!

Friend, don’t get hard and callous toward people. Live with a tender heart. Reach out and help others. In turn, God will bless you more. The only Jesus some people will see is you. The only prayer some people will hear is yours. The only time people will feel God’s touch is when you touch others. This Wednesday I’m returning to India and Nepal. Our goal is to touch 5,000 lives. You can make a difference. Nothing is too big or too small. Please help if you can and share this post with others. Love your spouse and your family. Love the people God brings in your path. Having a heart of compassion will draw in God’s favor in your own life.

“Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you” (Luke 6:38 ESV).

Click Here to Spread the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

Book Sandy Anderson as Speaker: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment