Building People. Spreading Hope.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Broadcast Yourself


We live in the age of media, social networks and webcams that bring instant attention to whatever we want to promote. Often things we see are not very wholesome. But there’s a way you can broadcast yourself without costing you a dime.

Smile.

Yesterday, I got the biggest compliment when someone said to me, “You always have a smile on your face!” I’m not conscience of it anymore but yes there was a time when I made it my personal growth plan to “learn to smile.” Our smile has powerful implications. Researchers say it take forty seven muscles to frown but only four to smile. Today we’ll look at many benefits of smile and laughter.

Our smile is the billboard that either draws people to us or repels people from us. When we smile, we’re saying, I like you; I’d like to get to know you better. If our eyes are the window to our soul, our smile is the window to our heart. When we smile, we express the joy in our hearts. A smile breaks down barrier and makes us welcoming to strangers.

When I was in “smile training” I made me think happy thoughts or a funny incident to get me going. I’m sure, at times, people thought I was stupid. But that didn’t stop me from my smile exercise. Soon it became so part of me that I was smiling naturally. I didn’t have to fake it or manufacture it. I had a cheerful continence without making any effort. Now, everywhere I go people are drawn to me because they feel welcomed to talk to me.

I’ve always felt awkward watching Christian movies where Jesus is characterized as a serious, mystical figure. Sometimes even his voice is altered and it sounds very fake and religious. In a recent version, Jesus is smiling when He comes out of the waters of baptism. He plays with the kids and jokes with the disciples. I believe that Jesus was a lighthearted man. People felt safe to be around him. His smile made people comfortable.  His smile broadcasted His heart.

Modern medical science is finding out the benefits of smile, laughter and a cheerful continence. The neuroscience section of the Discovery Channel lists some of the advantages of laughter. It lowers blood pressure. It reduces stress hormones. It increases disease-killing cells. It releases endorphins – a feel good hormone that reduces stress. It strengthens the immune system. It improves memory and creativity. I don’t know about you but I’ll smile all day just to get the benefit of any one of these. I love it when medical science proves age-old truths in the Bible. God’s Word says, A cheerful heart is good medicine(Proverbs. 17:22 NLT). Did you know in many nursing homes, old comedies are being played? It’s bringing healing and lengthening the days of its occupants. Laughter brings longevity.

In our recent missions trip to China, we’re standing in a long line trying to enter the Great Wall. It was a very hot day and there were no covers anywhere. Hundreds of people were packed like sardines. My team and I were all very uncomfortable. Suddenly, I spotted a little Chinese boy and his sister who were with their mother and grandparents. They were being impatient like us. I smiled and made some friendly gestures and immediately they responded. Soon we’re laughing, tickling, playing and providing entertainment to at least couple of dozen people standing in the line around us. The time passed must faster. When we’re about to enter the gate those two kids made their way in front of us to say bye to us. I put my hands on them and prayed a silent prayer for them to know Jesus and serve Him someday.

Smile my friend. It suits you. It will add years to your life. When we broadcast ourselves with a smile, people know we’re open for business. They feel safe to befriend us. We can be healing balm to those who are hurting. A smile, laughter and a merry heart does good like a medicine. Smile!

“All the days of the afflicted are evil, but the cheerful of heart has a continual feast” (Proverbs 15:15 ESV).

Click Here to Spread the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

Book Sandy Anderson as Speaker: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment