Building People. Spreading Hope.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Make Time for Your Family


Summer is a busy season for families. School is out and everyone is scurrying around busy with activities. It is fun to take your kids to amusement parks, summer camps and Vacation Bible School. But if we’re not careful, we’re going to be busy all summer and not have much substance to our family time.

When you spend time with your family, don’t pack your schedule with activities and fun things to do. Take time also to just hang out and talk about deeper things in life. If your kids are young, ask them about their life in school. Get caught up with their hobbies and interest. Ask them spiritual questions. Take them to Christian worship concerts. Provoke them to talk about God and their relationship with Him. Kids don’t just need your time; they need your wisdom and guidance.

Yesterday, I was trying to concentrate on my work. It was getting late and I wanted to finish off a project in my office. My kids are in summer camp right now and they came home exhausted. I wanted to connect with them but I had just a little bit of work left when my oldest daughter Cassandra walked into my office. I turned away from my computer and looked at her. She’s going to be sixteen on the 5th of July. I didn’t think it was the best time but she sat on my lap and started to tell me about her day. At first, I was thinking, “Can we do this after an hour, after I’d finished my project?” Thankfully I didn’t say anything and let her continue with her conversation. Later I realized how important that conversation was for her. I’ll have projects to finish the rest of my life but I may not have my teenage daughter sit on my lap and tell me about her day. Parents, I want to encourage you to take time to listen. If you’re like me, I have a lot to tell my kids. But boy do they like it when they get to talk! If we don’t take time to talk to our kids, someone else will.

I was visiting with a friend and she was telling me how they’d made summer plans for their kids. They’re going to take a road trip and visit their grandparents and so on. I commended her for taking time out as a family. I asked her what was their plan to spend a little time as a couple? She didn’t have anything concrete. I encouraged her to set aside a few days just with her husband. They live a busy life and with kids they don’t get a lot of adult time together. If you want a healthy family, you have to take time out with your spouse to connect. It doesn’t have to be Hawaii or an expensive vacation in Cancun but even a couple of nights away from your home will do wonders to your relationship. When kids see their parents secure in the relationship, they too feel confident and will do better in life.

I was talking to another friend and he was saying how his grandkid was coming to spend some time with them. They have a difficult situation and the child’s father is not available for him. I told my friend how important of a role he is playing in this young man’s life. The child doesn’t have a fatherly figure to look up to. My friend can be the father figure to this troubled kid. This is extremely important for children. If you are a grandparent, take you job seriously. You can have profound impact on these young lives forever. Timothy in the Bible had an experience like that. Lois his grandmother taught Him about the Lord and Timothy went on to become Paul’s favorite son in the faith and disciple. Grandparents, uncles and aunts, you too can make an eternal impact on your family members.

Friend, make time for your family. Your work, business, church and business will be there but the people you love and do all this for may not. Don’t wait for the grand holidays. Enjoy the everyday miracles that present itself along the way as with my daughter today. Create the magic moments by hanging out together. Quality time always comes out of quantity time.

Last but not the least, if you know a single mom who doesn’t have a summer plan, invited them to tag along. Let them join you at the pool or the amusement center. Offer to take the kids to VBS. What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you. Make time for your family. At the end of your days you’ll realize that the little things in life were the big things.

“If anyone doesn't take care of his own relatives, especially his immediate family, he has denied the Christian faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (I Timothy 5:8 God’s Word).

Click Here to Spread the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment