Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Becoming God’s Pet


Recently my kids got three kittens. Don’t ask me why but somehow they convinced me. I must have had a moment of insanity. I’m a dog lover but these three furry balls have interrupted our lives with joy.

All three of them are the cutest you’ve ever seen. They run around, play and take cat-naps. Each of them has excellent personality and they’re adorable. When I walk to another room they follow. All of you cat lovers raise your paw if you know what I’m talking about.

I don’t like to play favorites but Cloud has got my attention. While Rue and Fang entertain us all the time Cloud will make sure to connect with me in regular intervals. In the middle of whatever they’re doing, Cloud will come by and rub its fur against me. It will cuddle next to my feet or on the couch. It will climb straight up my chest and almost try to kiss me. Don’t tell this to my kids but Cloud has got to be my favorite because she acknowledges me throughout the day. She has my favor and attention.

We all have heard about being the teacher’s pet but what does it mean to be God’s pet? I know it doesn’t sound very theological so take it in the right sense of the way: we’re all God’s pets. He loves us. He takes care of us. He feeds us and provides for our family. One thing God craves in return is our love, devotion and solidarity with Him. He has innumerable angels who worship Him like robots but God is pleased when we worship Him out of our own free will. Just like our kitten Cloud, in order to be God’s favorite, we must do three things.

Enjoy life. Nothing makes me happy to see these cats playing around. Our God is the same way. You may be in a place where you cannot see much into the future but don’t lose your song. Enjoy what God has given you. Express your passion for life. Don’t forget to make the most of what God has given you. God loves to see your cheerful countenance. He loves to see you be joyful and free. We’re created for His pleasure and He loves our smiles regardless of what we’re facing in life.

Focus on what’s right with you. Many of us are so trained to think on our faults that we seldom remember what’s right with us. We know God’s going to judge us for our wrongs but have you ever considered God’s going to reward us for the things we do right? The Bible says God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. When you take time to thank God for His blessings, provision, protection and prestige you put a smile on His face. When we take a bold approach toward God as our loving Father, we gain confidence toward Him and tap into heavens full support.

Hang around God. Mary and Martha the two sisters who loved and served Jesus, reminds us that it’s better to sit with God than to be busy for God. Martha was busy serving while Mary “sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said.” This may not look fair in the human eye but God is more impressed with our presence than our penance. God doesn’t have favorites but if you want to grab His attention, acknowledge Him in everything you do. Involve Him in your decision making process. Remind Him of His promises. Say a quick thank you for what He did 15 years ago. Listen to a praise song and sing along to God with your grateful heart. Return to God what belongs to Him with your tithes, time and talent. Focus on God’s goodness and what’s going right with you. Spread some cheers. Just like our cat Cloud, when you hang around God, His favor will find you.

“In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:6 NAS).

Click Here to Change the World: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment