Building People. Spreading Hope.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Living Without Crutches


God brings people into our lives to get us through difficult seasons but we have to let them go when that period is over. If we don’t let go of the people in our lives who have served their purpose, we’ll not develop into our own highest potential.

Years ago I lived in Hong Kong, a bustling city. There are tall buildings everywhere and business is booming 24/7. To accommodate international trade, they’re always building tall skyscrapers. It always amazed me that, no matter how tall the building to be, they started the work with bamboo scaffolding. As the building rose, so did the bamboo scaffolding. Finally, when the skyscraper was finished they removed the bamboo scaffolding around it. It revealed a stunning work of engineering and the brilliance of a new skyscraper in Hong Kong skyline.

A similar thing happens as we journey through life. None of got here on our own and surely none of us will make it to our destiny on our own. Along the way, God has predestined people to help us rise to the top of our potential. These people come into our lives at various crossroads. Every one of them is important but they all serve a purpose. When that purpose is over, it is wise for us to release the people who were essential to our growth. I’m not talking marriage here. When we release the people whose season with us is over, only then can our true brilliance shine forth, much like the removal of the bamboo scaffolding in the Hong Kong skyline.

Unfortunately, many people live life stuck with their bamboo scaffolding on the first floor. They have maxed out their resources. They do not venture out to meet new people or remove themselves from their familiar surroundings. If we want to be a person of destiny, then we must be open to new things in life.

God forbid, but imagine you sprained your ankle and you had to depend on crutches to get around. Of course, they provide you with valuable support however, as you begin to heal, your need to use the crutches will diminish. Eventually, the same crutches that served a valuable purpose at one point in your life will have no purpose at all. You’ve been healed, and you’ve moved on to pursue your dreams. Many people make the mistake of holding on to their crutches way past their time. Today, I’m asking you to put your crutches to rest. Embrace the new season in your life. It’s time for you to stand on your own feet and fly.

Several years ago, I went through a crisis in my life. It affected everything I was doing; I felt so lost and helpless. I couldn’t stand on my own much less walk by myself. As I struggled my brother, Dr. Neil Anderson, came to my rescue. He went above and beyond his call of duty to be my crutch. Slowly, I recovered and became a healthy person again. Two vital things happened that I’m grateful for to this day. I recognized that I needed help and my brother recognized that he could provide that help. Eventually, we both recognized that it was time to dismantle the scaffolding. It was a mutual and painless effort. I’m grateful to my brother forever. Today I’m helping others get rid of their crutches.

Mark 10:46-52 tells the story of blind Bartimaeus, sitting by the road begging. One day he heard that Jesus was passing by. He began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.” Hearing his plea, Jesus stood still. Friend, you can stop God in His tracks when you cry out to Jesus. He will help you. He will heal you. He will set you free. But you have to do like Bartimaeus did. The Bible says, “And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.” Friend, if you want to be a healthy person, you have to throw away your crutches and embrace Jesus.

Let me ask you a question. What has been your crutch? No matter how beautiful your scaffolding may look like, it’s time to dismantle it. I challenge you examine your life. Is it drugs, alcohol, credit cards, or some other vice? Are you holding on to insecurity, low self-esteem, or an addiction? Are you leaning on your friends and relatives longer than you should? Are you a prisoner of your past mistakes? God wants to build and expose a beautiful skyscraper in and through you. Let go of your crutches and let your brilliance shine through.

Let’s Change the World: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment