Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Staying Calm in a Crisis


Let’s face it. At some point or other, we’ve all faced, or will face, a challenging situation. We don’t have to anticipate it. However, knowing what to do before a crisis actually occurs can be a huge advantage when a crisis does come.

None of us like to deal with difficult situations in life. Yet, we know bad things happen to good people. If we have a plan in place to deal with a crisis, then we can go through it easier. A crisis can be a sudden loss of a family member, a financial mountain, the loss of job, a divorce, or even news of a terminal illness. All of this is unwelcome but, in the Hand of God, even a setback can become a setup.

The other day I was driving to a meeting. It was a beautiful sunny day with blue skies and perfect temperature. I was feeling good. I was in my own lane crossing a bend when suddenly I was startled by a hit on the side of my car. My first response was not very spiritual. I threw my hands up signaling the car that hit me thinking, “What’s wrong with you, man?” Of course I slowed down and pulled my car over to the shoulder. When I went to inspect the car that had hit me, I saw a woman sobbing. I felt sorry for her so I asked “Ma’am, are you okay?” She nodded, “Yes.” Trying to make her feel better, I said, “Ma’am, it’s not a big deal. These things happen every day. I’m a pretty easy-going person. Don’t worry; everything is going to be alright.” When she composed herself, I asked her to call her insurance company; she also called her husband and the police. While waiting for the police to arrive, I could still see that she was very shaken and afraid to talk to her husband. Right there on the side of the road, I was able to minister to her, calm her down, and pray for her. What was a crisis became a blessing. I was still able to get to my meeting.

This reaction was a huge improvement for me. Only a few years ago, I used to have road-rage. A transformation has taken place in my life because I have learnt to stay calm in a crisis situation. It has been a learned behavior but with a desire to change and God’s help, all things are possible.

One of the best things we can do in a time of crisis is to have an easygoing attitude. This is a process. When we look at life’s little disappointments as being to our advantage, we can rest assured that everything will turn out alright. In an adverse situation, I remind myself “Nothing happens to me. Everything happens for me.” This change of perspective has helped me greatly. The Bible says, “The LORD directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?" (Proverbs 20:24 NLT)

When Jesus was in the boat, a great tempest arose in the sea and the disciples went helter-skelter trying to save themselves from the crisis. All the while, Jesus was deeply asleep in the belly of the boat. When they woke him up, Jesus was not afraid of the storm. You can be in the midst of the storm but never allow the storm to get in you. When you’re living right, doing right, and giving your best to honor God with your life, you can be confident that God will not allow anything more than what you can bear. The scripture says, “When darkness overtakes the godly, light will come bursting in” (Psalm 112:4). No weapon formed against you will prosper. “Because you got a double dose of trouble and more than your share of contempt, Your inheritance in the land will be doubled and your joy go on forever(Isaiah 61:7 The Message).

Friend, no matter what you’re facing, know that the Creator of the universe is on your side. He cares about you too much to allow you to go through a crisis without giving you victory. Let’s learn to have an easygoing attitude no matter what life throws at us. Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers them out of all. Don’t question all of the negative things that happen to you. Trust in Him and He will guide you out of all crises. I’m praying for you!

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track” (Proverbs 3:5-6 The Message).

Let’s Change the World: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment