Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

I Was In Prison


This is the time of the year when many lock themselves behind invisible walls. They have been hurt, betrayed or mistreated. It may have happened recently or a long time ago but they lock themselves in various prisons.

We should not underestimate the pain of others. It is never right when someone is hurt. However, if we allow bitterness, anger and resentment to fester us then we get locked behind self-imposed prison walls. It is not healthy for us and we hurt ourselves. Instead of holding grudges, Christmas is a good time to forgive and let go of past disappointments.

Yesterday, I was privileged to minister in a maximum security prison in east Texas. It was my first time in an American prison. I was very touched by the people we met. Eric is a forty four year old man. He’s serving a 38 year sentence for murder. I’ve never met a broken man like him. Eric lived a reckless life. He’s been HIV positive for almost twenty years. But he found the Lord in prison and now lives a God honoring life. His father is a minister and his family has been praying for him. When I asked him how I should pray for him, he said, “I’ve been holding grudges against my brothers because they don’t come to see me.” I told Eric what I’m telling you! I had the opportunity to pray with him and ask him to forgive his brothers. When I left him, he had a brilliant smile. Please remember Eric in your prayers. I told him that we’re going to pray for him.

When we don’t forgive, we’re allowing ourselves to be hurt and controlled by other people over and over. Prisons of anger, unforgivness, bitterness, self-pity, depression are far more dangerous than criminal prisons. Many people right now are trapped in the prisons of substance abuse, alcohol and other addictions. It is easy for us to point fingers and look down on them. Instead, we need to have compassion and pray for our friends.

In the twenty fifth chapter of Matthew Jesus welcomes those who offered a cup of water to the poor in His name. He said, “I was in prison and you came to visit me.” The surprised audience says, “When Lord? When were you in prison and we came to you?” Jesus replied, “When you do it for one of the least of my brothers, you did it for me.” What Jesus is saying is to reach out to the poor, suffering, crying humanity. People see God when they see us. Jesus can only touch people through us. He can heal and deliver people when we stretch out our hands of compassion.

Christmas is the season to be joyous and celebrate the festivities in honor of our Lord’s birth. It is good for us to take time off and spend it with our families. However, in the midst of our business, let’s not forget those who are captives in prisons. Not just the criminals but also those who are locked up in emotional prisons. Let us reach out and help those we can.

This month, our goal is to reach 100,000 souls for the Lord in India, Nepal, China and other parts of Asia. We challenge you to extend your hand of compassion and bring hope and healing to the people in captivity. We are also ministering to children and old folks by providing sweaters, shoes, blankets and food. Every one of them will hear the Good News of Christmas. Thousands will accept Christ as their Lord. Will you participate with your prayers and gifts? When we help those trapped in various prisons, we’re ministering to our Lord. What can be more appropriate Christmas gift we can give to our Lord on His birthday? Let’s celebrate this season of joy and share with those who have none.

“I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me” (Matthew 25:36 NLT).

Celebrate Christ; Impact Lives: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment