Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

God will Use Your Shortcoming


What a wonderful season of the year this is! Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love to see happy faces, festivities and the hustle and bustle of shopping and good times. Unfortunately for many, this is the worst time of the year.

I know people who dread festivities, good times and enjoying themselves. They retrieve because they’d done something wrong in the past. Guilt, shame and regret engulf their lives. Some resort to alcohol, drugs and other self-inflicting vices. We should never judge people like that instead, reach out and try to include them in our circle.

I can speak for myself. I made many blunders in my life. Believe it or not, I used to be selfish, moody, insecure, unfaithful, unreliable, lying blankety blank. (I’m still working on some of these issues.) When I felt guilt and condemnation, I’d turn to do more of the same thinking, I’m good for nothing. I don’t deserve anything better. Thankfully, a series of event in my life catapulted me to take a hard, long look at myself. I had to decide whether to let the enemy’s voice win or accept God’s plan for my life. I chose the latter and what a ride it has been since then. Today, I’m able to minister to thousands facing those same issues.

Here’s what I’ve learnt. When you’ve done something wrong or something bad happens to you, there are three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or allow it to strengthen you. If we have God’s perspective, we’ll always allow our weakness to strengthen us.

Many people sit on the sideline today because they made a mistake thirteen years ago. There are others who feel less of themselves because they don’t think they look beautiful nor have any talent. They constantly feel inferior amongst others. They look down on themselves and mistakenly give heed to the accusing voices of the devil. Don’t let that be you. Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” God will use your shortcomings to thrust you into amazing things God has in store for you.

This is what happened to Zacchaeus in the Bible. He had two things going against him. He had a bad reputation as a tax-collector and he was short in stature. Understandably, Zacchaeus allowed his self-esteem to drop but deep in his heart, he had a desire for God. He wanted to do the right thing. He wanted to see Jesus. There was no way for sinner Zacchaeus to get close to the Holy Man but he was determined. So he ran ahead and climbed up a sycamore tree. You know, today, people everywhere are looking for Jesus. If we Christians were a little more sensitive to their need and less judgmental to their sins, many more will follow Him. That’s exactly what happened to Zac. Jesus overlooked all the people pressing on Him and looked straight to Zac and said, “Come down, we’re going to dinner together.”  Jesus saw the heart of Zacchaeus while people looked at his shortcomings. Friend, Jesus is looking at you today. If you’re wrestling with your past, let it go; there’s no future there. The enemy has kept you crippled for too long. Why don’t you accept God’s free gift of forgiveness and mercy? He has a life waiting for you that you cannot comprehend. Today is your day. Will you turn to Christ?

Friend, there’s no better time to get your life right with God than this time of Christmas. Jesus said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.” That’s Good News my friend. It doesn’t matter where you have been. What matters is where God can take you. Will you say this prayer with me? “Dear Jesus, I know I have sinned. I need a Savior. I accept you as my Lord. I repent from my sins. Give me the strength to overcome sin and bad habits by the power of your Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name.” Friend, if you prayed that prayer, you’re born again. Tell someone about your experience today and let the God of peace lead and guide you in all Truth. I’m praying for you!

“For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10 NLT).

Celebrate Christ; Impact Lives: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment