Building People. Spreading Hope.

Monday, September 8, 2014

I Love Traffic


We live in such stressful times that we automatically react negatively to traffic. In the rat race of life, we are easily irritated by driving around, even when we’re not in any particular hurry. A change of mindset can change the way we behave in traffic.

Years ago, I lived in Hong Kong. It is a bustling international city; people from all over the world are there for business opportunities. This city is always on the run. During the time I was there, I ministered a lot in Europe and Asia. Whenever I stepped off of the plane, even though I was not in any hurry, I’d fall into the rat-race. I’d rush to catch the subway or the bus or the taxi. Often, even a leisurely walk would turn into a brisk one. One day it dawned on me that I was sucked into the hurried lifestyle.

In America, we drive everywhere. We complain about traffic routinely. It is almost a conversation piece in the morning. On the surface it may look innocent but if we’re not careful, stress in traffic can take a toll on our lives. Today, let’s look at a few positive ways to turn traffic into a productive time.

Pray in traffic. I pray more in traffic than any other time. Prayer is talking to God just as we do with another person. It accomplishes two things. One, I can pray for my friends – that’s you. Two, when I pray, it’s hard to complain or have a bad attitude. Talking to God also makes me feel safer. Of course, I pray with my eyes open and I recommend you do the same. Praying helps me keep the focus off me and on God and others. When I’m not praying, I listen to worship music. Instantly I feel the peaceful presence of God. It is a great substitute from getting agitated over traffic.

Traffic helps build character. I lived in Los Angeles for five years. You may not believe me, but I had road rage. Yep, miracles still happen! When people cut me off, I’d speed up to get alongside the stranger and give them my death stare. I was oblivious to the fact that gun owners in Los Angeles practice their target shooting in traffic! When I realized that I had an issue while driving, I made it my personal growth plan (PGP) to not allow strangers to affect me. It took me six months to get rid of anger. Today, traffic doesn’t bother me. I can honestly say, “I love traffic!”

Traffic makes great evangelist. It is a great place to influence others for good. In the past, I’d not allow another vehicle to slide in but now it’s easy. I often keep a two or three car gap in front of me. I slow down to let other cars squeeze in front of me. Have you noticed; when we’re courteous, others follow? It is a great way to spread joy and kindness and make a positive deposit in others.

Traffic time can be educational. I heard that if we spend one hour listening to CDs or podcasts every day for three years, you can become an expert on the subject. This is really powerful because it has happened to me. I used to listen to music or talk shows on the radio but then I got more intentional about using my time more effectively. I downloaded free teachings and sermons on subjects onto my iPod. Now I learn while I drive. Occasionally, I still rock with U2!

Our roads are treacherous. No matter what motivates you, you must find a way to keep your cool in traffic. When we’re not at peace, we’re more prone to make mistakes. When you’re at peace, you’re powerful. Change your confession about traffic. Stop saying, “I hate traffic.” Here’s the key. What we say has powerful impact on what we experience. Let’s say it with a smile, “I love traffic!” See, it wasn’t too hard was it? The more you say it, the more you’ll believe it. The more you believe, the less traffic will negatively impact you.

Friend, let’s change our attitude! You have a great life. You’re sitting in a comfortable car with your personal space. Be thankful that you have a job to go to or return to your loved ones at home. Be kind and considerate. You can brighten someone’s day by simply allowing them to squeeze in front of you. Smile instead of getting sour and you can change the atmosphere in traffic. When you spend your time praying and learning in traffic, you’ll be the number one rat, in the rat-race of life! Sow kindness and you’ll reap the same. I pray and declare that you’ll never complain about traffic again. Drive safe. Drive happy. Spread a little cheer in your journey!

“When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things” (I Corinthians 13:11 NLT).
 
Let’s Change the World: www.buildinternational.org
 
Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment