Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How to Validate the Feelings of Others


One of the greatest human needs is to be validated. Validation simply means to understand and agree with a person’s feelings. Our feelings are neither good or bad. It only becomes right or wrong when we act on our feelings.

Yesterday, my sixteen year old daughter came to me asking for a favor. She said, “Daddy, I just need to get something off my chest. I need you to listen to me about something. I don’t want you to say anything.” My first thought was, “Girl, you’re a great communicator! Who’s your Daddy?” I assured her that she had my undivided attention and she began to spill what was on her heart. I didn’t offer one drop of advice, kudos to me. We hugged, she felt better, and the world lived happily ever after!

What my daughter needed was validation. While this is a good start for a teenager, I myself have not always been so enlightened on the subject. I’m still growing in this area. As a typical man, I used to be very generous about offering solutions to people’s problems. After much pain and heartache, I learnt that most of the time people don’t want to be fixed; they want to be heard. People are dying to share what they’re feeling but they want to do it in a safe environment.

People are smart. Most of the time people figure out the solutions to their own problems. They don’t need me. What we all want is validation. When we’re in doubt, when we’re struggling, we want to process life with someone who understands what we’re going through and approves of our feelings. This doesn’t have to mean we believe the same things or endorse their actions. People have a need to feel safe emotionally, to air their ideas and hang them on the lines of our hearts for some fresh air as we do with our laundry. When we think, pray, and process with them, often they find the answers to their own problems.

So how can we become effective in validating others? We can learn from our Lord -- the master communicator. When He met with the woman at the well, He didn’t condemn her. He didn’t grab her by the throat and tell her that she was going to hell for her crimes. No; instead he validated her. He drew the negatives out from her heart and turned them into positives. He didn’t condemn her but He didn’t condone her actions either. He lovingly said, “Go and sin no more.” How easy it was for her to swallow that pill! Friends, if you want to be like Jesus quit throwing stones at people. Validate others. Let me give you a few tips.

First, learn to listen. When we listen without interruptions and offering advice, we create a safe environment. We show respect and dignity when we allow the person to vent without making them feel guilty for their feelings.

Second, share your own shortcomings. When people are feeling bad about themselves, they feel condemned. That is not the time to say, “I told you so.” In vulnerable situations like that, it’s best to validate the person’s feelings by sharing very brief story about your own failure. This will still keep the conversation on the other person but ease the burden of guilt.

Third, become a consultant. Give advice if, and only if, it’s asked. Share only when the person is open, willing, and ready to receive it. When they are hungry for advice, they’ll be more willing to change. One of the best things we can do to help others is to allow them time and space to come up with their own solutions.

Today, let’s validate someone. Don’t prejudge a person. People treat us like the clothes we wear. They only see what we show them. Let’s take the time to listen to people. When we validate others, we give them wings to fly!

“Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry” (James 1:19 NLT).

Be a Person of Influence: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment