Building People. Spreading Hope.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Mastering Your Money


Money is a big priority in our lives. Many talented people wasted their lives because they never learnt to manage their money. We do not always need more money.  If we learn to manage what God gives us, then we will become kings in life.

The other day I was talking to a young friend who is getting started in his financial business. He is a very hard working and honest man. As we were visiting, I casually shared my simple money views with him. I guess he was encouraged because he said, “Can you write those points for me?” I’m no Dave Ramsey, or Warren Buffett but today I will share with you what I have learnt about money.

First, don’t make money making your goal. The famous Zig Ziglar once said, “If you help enough people get what they want, you will always get what you want.” Money is a bi-product. There is nothing wrong in going after your dream job or wanting a profit from the business but if money is our main motivation, we’re running a poor business. When we follow God and maximize our gifts and the talent He has given us, money will follow. Seek God’s face more than you seek His hands.

Second, honor God by giving back. Be generous! The church has dwarfed people of faith by nagging members for 10% of their income. I say this with all due respect but this is not scriptural. There is nothing wrong with supporting our local churches, but church is people. We should be more concerned about building people than building buildings. In the New Testament, Jesus upheld the tithe but He didn’t stop there. He taught us to surrender ALL to God because it’s all His in the first place! God doesn’t want your money, He wants your life! This is what the church did in the Book of Acts and what a revolution they started! When we help the poor, the widows, and the persecuted, we’re advancing God’s Kingdom and accumulating treasure, both in heaven and here on earth. We should give according to what measure we want to get back. I challenge you to consider giving 80% of your income away. You may be tilting your head at me but try it and see what God does for you!

Third, pay yourself. Putting resources away for retirement, inheritance for the family, and investing are principles straight from the Scriptures. When we’re brainwashed to give everything away or never take a step of faith to bless others, then we have a skewed view of money. God instructed Joseph to save 20% for the famine to come. Joseph obeyed and the whole country was saved. Could it be, saving is God’s way for us also? God’s principle will still work if we only heed to His ways.

Fourth, pay your bills before they’re due. You would be amazed by how many people don’t pay bills on time. Remember, the pain of a bad habit can cost you much. Bank auto pay is a great way to pay our bills. Normally I have two days in a month when I pay my bills. I write the big bills first like giving a percentage to God, the mortgage, and so on. To eliminate late fees, I normally allow seven working days for the payments to process.

Fifth, owe nothing to anybody. With 15%-29% interests, credit cards are daytime robbery. The Bible says, “The borrower will be slave to the lender.” Once I foolishly put $10,000 on my credit card to pay a conference bill for a number of people. It took me three years and thousands of dollars in interest to pay it off. Now I carry a negative balance on that card. Here’s my advice. Have no more than two major credit cards. Apply for the ones that give you miles or rewards for using their card. Stay away from retail store credit cards. Unless you know you’re able to pay the FULL AMOUNT back at the end of each month, do not buy on credit. Carry only one card in your wallet for emergencies and leave the rest at home – especially the ones you’re tempted to use the most. Be smart. Exploit the system, don’t be a victim of it!

Last but not the least, if you’ve messed it up in the past, ask God for mercy. Change your habits and ask God for a financial miracle. My friend’s $100,000+ debt was canceled by the IRS! I pray for financial miracles every day and God answers my prayers. My friend, ask God for favor, be generous, show some character, learn to live within your means and you’ll experience a financial tsunami you’ve never imagined before. I’m praying for you!

“Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; And let them say continually, "The LORD be magnified, Who delights in the prosperity of His servant" (Psalm 35:27 NAS).

Be a Person of Influence: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment