Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Be a Problem Solver


Yesterday I was pumping gas into my car minding my own business when a young lady approached me holding a baby in her arms. She was parked on the other side of the gas pump. Polite I went over to her side. She said, “Can you please help me put some gas into my car. My card has been denied.” Being the great man of faith that I am, my first thought was, “Oh yea, what kind of scam is this?” Immediately I heard a voice within me, “Help her!” I filled up her gas tank, told her that God loved her and we went on her own ways.

As I drove off, I couldn’t help but think how close I was to losing an opportunity to help someone. Every day I pray to God to share the Gospel with others. I’ve learnt that most people have heard about our Lord but they don’t know how He looks like. The Bible teaches that the goodness of God leads people to repentance.  

One way we all can put a smile on God’s face is by becoming a problem solver. Often we think God requires for us to do something big, sacrifice something we love or become a missionary but just the opposite is true. God simply wants us to solve little problems that come in our daily lives.

In traffic, we can prefer another person. At work, we can be reliable and do our job without complaining. We can be accommodating to our co-workers. We can keep a positive attitude when everyone is criticizing the management. We can be a little more forgiving and have a smile and song in our heart all day long. If we’re willing, God will put people in our path to solve their problems. When we are solving little problems with a good attitude, one day God will help us kill a giant and become ruler over much.

We can solve little problems at home. Instead of thinking, “Me first” we can have an attitude to serve. It’s amazing when we reach out to bless others; we inspire them to do the same. Solve little problems. Finish the “honey-do” list that’s on the fridge for months. Get the closet or the garage clean. Take the family out for a picnic. When we invest in our own family we add value to them. By solving little problems we’re saying, “You’re important to me.”

Another way we can solve problems is simply by listening to people. I counsel people on a regular basis. Bulk of the time I listen. I’ve learnt that most people know the answers to their problems. They just need to process their thoughts with someone. When we lend our listening ears, we help them figure out a way out of their situation.

Some of you reading this are thinking, “This all sounds good Sandy but who will solve my problem?” Here’s the key. When we help solve other people’s problems, God will take care of ours. Everything you do for people in the name of our Lord will be rewarded. We cannot out give God. Today, let’s reach out and help the people God brings in our path. What we do with an opportunity to help others will determine what people think about our God. Let’s be a problem solver and represent our God well.

“Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it” (Hebrews 13:2 NLT)!

What are your thoughts?

Change the World with the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment