Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Feed Your Own Monkey


I was visiting with a retired friend of mine when he shared how hard it is for him to stay quite when he perceives others are wrong. He even had to quit going to a Christian gathering because he felt their views did not reflect his own.

This is a very common behavior in people. We all like to be respected and validated for our values, especially when we have a strong conviction about something. I remember when I first joined Facebook, I’d see so many postings that I didn’t agree with. I made it my personal business to give my “correct” opinion. I was driving myself crazy by people and many of them I didn’t even know!

Later I learnt a secret. When you feel like speaking the most is the best time to be quite!

This change in my outlook has transformed my life. Now I can read or hear the most outrageous things without it affecting me. I have not walked in their shoes to understand why people are saying what they are saying. I just smile and “walk away.”

You see, every day we’re given a certain amount of energy, faith and grace by God to do what we’re here to do. When we spend all our energy to police the world, we sap our valuable energy to do what we were supposed to do.

Today I encourage you to “feed your own monkey.” Resist the urge to correct others unless you’re directly responsible for their actions. In fact, don’t give your opinion unless you’re asked for. We men, have to get a grip on this. We love to solve problems and quick to give advice. But let us learn to hold our thoughts. This way, we will live a more peaceful and productive life.
                  
By the way, I was able to win my friend over. He promised to be back in the Christian gathering! ;)

“Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry” (James 1:19 NLT).

Change the World with the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment