Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Living a Life that Counts


I have never met anyone who had planned to live a mediocre life. Even an ordinary person has a routine they repeat. However, if we want to live a life that counts, we have to be intentional about it.

Do you ever wonder if you are making a difference in this life or life after? I believe all of us have an innate desire to live a life that counts. God puts gifts and talents in each of us so that we can make a difference in our world.

When I was a teenager, I loved reading. I stole half of the books from the library to add to my own so that I could read them whenever I wanted to. I had no purpose and certainly; no significance in life. My goal in life was to own a book shop in a busy train station where I could sell books and magazines, and read them for free. I am glad that God didn’t grant me my wishes. I say this humbly, but He called me to touch lives around the world!

When we talk about living a life that counts, we have to ask ourselves, “Are people inspired to draw closer to God because of the influence in my life? Are people motivated to serve God in a greater capacity because of my faith, courage and devotion to Him?” The true success of our lives is not measured by our job titles, bank balance, bigger house and faster cars, but how many people we have been able to impact.

In the 1993 movie Schindler’s List, directed and co-produced by Steven Spielberg, the story unfolds about Oscar Schindler during the Nazi reign and the Holocaust. Oscar is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who gradually becomes concerned for his Jewish employees who are condemned to death in the concentration camps. Oscar saves eleven hundred lives! In the end, he becomes so engrossed in saving lives that he starts to lament to his co-worker. “I could have got more out. I could have got more out. I didn’t do enough! This car. Why did I keep this car? Ten people right there. This pin. This is gold. He would have given me two for it, at least one. [Starts sobbing] I could have gotten one more person… and I didn’t!”

It is easy to be so self-absorbed that we forget about living a life that counts. We get so caught up in our jobs, business, kids, grandkids and the house, that we forget that none of it will matter in eternity. People are the only thing going to heaven! Albert Pine said, “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”

One of the biggest hindrances to giving is to think that our gift is too small. In the Bible, a great crowd of people followed Jesus. It was lunch time and they had no food. Suddenly a young boy offered his five loaves and two small fish to Jesus. Today, you may think you have nothing to share with this world. You don’t feel that you can live a life that counts. But we can all learn from this young boy. Not only is our little much in the Hand of God, but when we do anything for God He will make sure that our name is made great. Two thousand years later, we are still inspired by what this young boy did. We should regularly ask ourselves, “What difference am I making in the lives of others? What will people remember me for?” When we spend our time in the service of others, we will find ourselves in the favor of the Almighty.

Friend, are you making your life count? It is not enough to live the American dream but endeavor doing what God cares about. President John Adams said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” Friend, lead others by example. Let’s not waste another day in mediocrity, regret and narcissist behavior. God still has a purpose for your life. Like Oscar Schindler and the boy with the bread and fish, God wants to use you and make your name great. What you do today is how you will be remembered in eternity. Live intentionally and let us live a life that counts.

“Those who are wise will shine as bright as the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever” (Daniel 12:3 NLT).

Be a Person of Influence: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment