Building People. Spreading Hope.

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Aging with Grace

 
Everybody wants to live longer, healthier and more meaningful lives. But like everything else, the good life does not just come knocking on your door automatically. We have to be proactive if we want to age with grace.
 
Recently I spoke to a group of men that I meet with regularly. One of them said, “When you cross fifty, you should accept that things are going to start falling apart. Aches and pains are the new norm.” I was disturbed by his comment and quickly answered, “Yeah, everybody except me! I’ll age well and live in divine health as long as I can because the Bible has promised me that.” My dear friend replied, “Well, you’re in denial!”
 
So what does the Bible teach about getting old? The Bible says, “Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years" (Genesis 6:3 NIV). There are many people in the Bible who lived much longer. Noah lived to be 600 years old even after God's declaration, and his sons lived hundreds of years as well. Generations later, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob lived well past the age of 120 years. “Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died. His eyes were not dim nor his natural vigor diminished” (Deuteronomy 34:7 NKJV). Moreover, people today are reported to live longer than 120 years old on some occasions. 
 
You may say, “Brother Sandy, are you serious about living 120 years?” The truth is that I used to scoff at this notion but after researching the Bible, I started to believe it. Now I thank God every day for giving me 120 good years! My attitude is to shoot for the moon and even if I fail, I will fall among the starts, rather than aim low and make it. You do not have to start breaking apart under aches, pains, and chronic illnesses. Nowhere in the Bible God has promised that. That is just not His plan for your life.
                                                                                                                      
So what can we do to live a long, satisfied life, free of sickness, disease, aches, and pains? Let me share four practical things you can do to increase your longevity and natural vigor.
 
1. Grey matters. I am not talking about your hair color. I am talking about your brain cells. Age is a matter of mind. The number one secret to a vigorous life is taking care of your mental health. What you feed your mind will determine the quality of your life. No matter how accomplished you are, focus on personal development and continue to grow. Join a computer, art, or craft class. Attend cultural festivals and events. Learn a language. Travel and go see the world. The Brazilian author Paulo Coelho said, “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” Keep your mind fresh and occupied with stimulating and wholesome information.
 
2. Build new relationships. People are always cycling out of our lives so you have to make sure to add new people in to your life. This is especially true as you get older. Do not let your world shrink by withdrawing from society. My friend Ron is 83 years old and extremely smart. He has done well in life and has plenty of resources. Nevertheless, he just picked up a job at Lowe’s because he wanted to interact with people and expand his circle of acquaintances!
 
3. Protect your heart. Solomon, the wisest man ever said, “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:23 NKJV). Keep your heart free from offenses. Forgive in advance and let go of grudges. Give generously—not just your money but also your time, wisdom, gifts, and talents.
 
4. Take care of yourself. Your body is not only where you live but the Holy Spirit lives in you! How you look correlates to how you feel. Remember that you are an Ambassador of Christ. Do not let yourself go! Dress well. Talk well. Eat well. Sleep well. Exercise well regularly. Even fifteen minutes a day will have you feeling invigorated and energize. Make sure to get your heart pumping each day. Hang around young people. Mentor them and pass on your wisdom to them. 
 
Let me give you a few promises that you can declare over your life every day. With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation” (Psalm 91:16 NKJV). But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31 NKJV). “Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green” (Psalm 92:14 NLT).
 
Do not fear death! When you are fully satisfied with this life, you will go to sleep and wake up in heaven.  The scripture says, “The memory of the righteous is blessed.”
 
“You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed” (Psalm 139:16 NLT).
 
Become a Life Changer: https://buildinternational.org
Building People. Spreading Hope.

2 comments:

  1. This is so refreshing! I receive this wisdom. Thank you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a blessing to you. God has promised us at least 120 good years! ;) Let's celebrate the goodness of our Lord--rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete