Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

How to Make the Most at Work


Human nature is to magnify the small problems. The longer we stare at our problems, the bigger they look. If we’re not setting the tone for our day with a positive attitude right at the beginning, our circumstances will probably set the tone for us in a negative way.

One reason we feel bad about ourselves is because we complain. We dislike the traffic. We don’t like our jobs. Our boss is too stiff. Our co-workers are lazy. We feel unappreciated and so on and so forth. However, when we change our attitude, we can change our lives.

Let me give you some perspective. Think about the person who doesn’t have a car, a job, or a nice environment to work in. Think about the person who is battling a long-term disease. Think about a family who is going through a divorce or a foreclosure on their house. Even worse, they just lost their loved one to a dreaded disease.

People go through extreme difficulty every single day. While we complain and throw a fit over petty things, others are fighting life or death situations. Somebody would love to have your job, your health, your vehicle, your house, or your income.

Our lives gravitate towards our thoughts. What we constantly think about, we bring about. If you’re expecting clients to be demanding, they probably will be. If you’re planning to have a tough day, you probably will. On the contrary, if you believe that today you’ll hit that sales goal, you probably will. If you believe that you’re favored by the Power on High, you’ll be the most productive employee in the company. Whatever you believe, you’ll experience.

The famous Zig Zigar said, “You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” Years ago, I worked at a nation-wide computer retail store. Most people there had a sour attitude at work. They didn’t like the management. They were offended at a customer. They complained about the constant change in the company policy. They had relationship problems at home and they brought it to work with them. I was going through a difficult phase in my life with some of my own personal problems. I was a sales person but very quickly I realized how blessed I was compared to those around me. I was in a negative environment but I didn’t allow the negativity to get in me. I began to reach out to my co-workers. I took time to listen to their frustrations. There was one guy who was struggling so I got lunch for two of us the whole time I was there. I prayed for them in the break room. Amazingly, I got promotion after promotion!

Don’t misunderstand me; I wasn’t perfect at all. Once, I stormed into my manager’s office and let him have several pieces of my mind. I took off my Christianity for a while and cussed him out. My manager was shocked! Half an hour later, when the Holy Spirit began to deal with me, I went back to my manager and asked him to forgive me. He was relieved!

I spent most of my time at work trying to help customers or co-workers. I became the go-to person with difficult customers or employees. I was the minister in the marketplace. As I helped others, my sales increased. I was making more on my off days than when I was present because the cashiers were putting sales through in my employee number. In a short time, I became one of the top performers in the company among thousands, winning all sorts of trophies, vacations, and awards. Change your attitude about work! Jesus said, “Give and you’ll receive.”

Today put on a sun-dried, lemon-fresh attitude. Wear a big smile – it says you’re open for business. Take the first step to make someone feel like a million dollars. Buy your co-worker a coffee or a lunch. Hum a praise song of God’s goodness in your life. Look at your family picture at your office and remember that because of you, their lives are blessed. Set your mind in the right direction first thing in the morning. You’re born to do great things. I speak blessing, focus, creativity, favor, increase, peace and prosperity in your life this week. Change your attitude and you’ll change your life. I’m praying for you!

“And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise” (Philippians 4:8 NLT).

Spread Your Influence: http://www.buildinternational.org


No comments:

Post a Comment