Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Power of Our Belief


We all have a set of belief. Our belief system is either empowering or limiting our ability. Most of the time what seems impossible is only a barrier in our belief system.

What we believe can make us or break us. We can excel in life when we think, talk and believe like God. On the contrary, when we dwell in self-limiting, self-defeating, destructive thoughts, we are crippling our own future.

When my second daughter Sabrina was eight-years-old she began to complain how hard it was to finish one page of math. Normally she was very focused in school. I put her on my lap and asked her to repeat after me, “Math is easy and it is fun.” Immediately she protested, “But it is not!” After a little persuasion, she repeated, “I love math. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Long story short, she was able to finish math (90 problems) in record 13 minutes! Why am I telling you this story? My daughter’s belief changed as I helped her replace her negative belief with a positive one.

Often, we are victims of our own belief system. We are born with neutral belief. But experience, adults and our circumstances teach us to develop a set of belief that is sometimes harmful to us. We learn to believe, “We’re not attractive; we have no talent.” We believe, “I will not amount to anything. I will never be rich.” I heard that 80% of the people in our prison system were told that they will “end up in prison!” When we believe that we will be sick for the rest of our lives, it will affect our healing. When we believe that we cannot break free from addictions, we will not be overcomers. When we believe that we will remain single the rest of our lives, it will produce its result. The Bible says that our belief determines not only our mortal life but also eternal!

My kids love cats. When the kittens were very small I had installed screens on the kitchen door that leads to our backyard. We did not want the kittens to get out into the yard. They love sitting by the screen door and watch for birds and wasps. My kids say that door is their TV. Interestingly, even though the kittens are almost full grown now and only the flimsy screen door stand in their way, they have never tried to tear it down with their sharp nails and go out into the backyard. You can say that their self-limiting belief has kept them indoors. How often we too are restricted by our invisible walls or constraining belief system! We think, “I cannot close the big sale.” We believe, “I will not rise higher than the position I’m in now.” We think, “Working and retiring is all there is to life.” Friend, I’m telling you, there is much, much more!

For years people believed that it is impossible for a human being to run a mile in less than four minutes. Then in 1954, Roger Banister proved it wrong. Within one year, thirty seven athletes broke the belief barrier. The next year after that, three hundred runners broke the self-imposing belief. What happened? One man dared to break the barrier and hundreds followed.

Friend, what are your self-imposing beliefs? You may be the first in your family, but if you dare to break the self-limiting barriers, generations after you will follow. Replace “I can’t” thoughts with “I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me.” If you are feeling sick in your body, say, “By the stripes of Jesus, I am healed.” If you are facing a legal battle, pray, “Thank you Lord for delivering me. Your favor surrounds me like a shield for a lifetime.” Jesus said to the blind men, “Because of your faith, it will happen” (Matthew 9:29). Then their eyes were opened! Today I am praying that your eyes will be opened to see and do all the things God has in store for you. You will live and not die and proclaim the works of the Lord. You will find love, happiness and fulfillment again. You will conceive and bare children. You will own your dream home. You will write that book. You will go on the missions trip and help the cause of world missions. Your church and business will flourish and you will become a powerful influence in your community. I believe and declare that you will go on to live every dream God has placed in your heart. Friend, I am not just saying feel-good words, I am prophesying over you. If you believe, it will come to pass. Reconsider your belief system. You will become what you believe!

“For as he thinks within himself, so he is” (Proverbs 23:7 NAS).

Be a Person of Influence: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment