Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Be Kind and Considerate


“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32 NIV).

Since childhood, we’ve been taught to be kind and considerate. We all want others to be kind to us but it’s hard to initiate these virtues. When we’re kind and considerate, we’re doing more than good deeds. We’re representing Christ and planting seeds for ourselves and our children.

A few weeks ago, I was running errands at the post office. As I entered the door, I saw an elderly lady carrying several boxes in her arms. I offered to hold the door open for her. After she put down her packages, she was about to go out and get some more from her car when I offered to help her.

Her whole back seat was full of packages for her kids and grandkids. After I put them down in the front of the clerk’s desk, we both stood in the line. She said, “Thank you.” I said, “Now you have to tell me a story.” She said, “What story?” I said, “Tell me something God has done for you that glorifies Him.” She said, “God miraculously healed my husband!” My eyes got real big as I said, “Tell me more.”

She said, “My husband was on a plane and he had been having a heart attack. He was breathing heavily and the passenger next to him complained to him. So he went and sat in the toilet the rest of the flight. After he got off the plane, he was rushed to the hospital and spent three months in the intensive care unit. God finally healed him.” 


I was so excited and asked her if I could pray for her husband. She said, “Sure.” Right there, standing in the post office line, I prayed a brief prayer of blessing over her and a healthy long life for her husband. When I said “amen” several others standing in the line joined in.

We finished our transactions at the post office and I was walking to my car when I heard, “Excuse me. Excuse me.” I turned around and there was another lady walking towards me. I was taken aback but I turned around and started walking towards her. She said, “I’m sorry to bother you but I heard you pray for the lady in the post office line. My husband has just had a heart attack. Would you please pray for him?” I said, “Yes ma’am.” I talked to her about how Jesus is still alive and he loves to heal and save people. Sheepishly, she said, “I know I should be in church but I haven’t in a long time.” I said, “Don’t worry. Jesus heals people even if we’re not church-goers.” Standing in the middle of the parking lot, I laid my hands on her shoulders and prayed for her husband. She was so relieved and promised that they’ll be in church the next Sunday.

We were just about to finish up our conversation when a young lady driving by stopped near us. She rolled down her window and shouted, “Hey, I just love what you did inside the post office and are now doing out here!”

Why am I telling you this elaborate story? I believe opportunities to be kind to others are all around us. If we’re not always in such hurry and focusing on our own agendas, we’ll find many people who are desperate for a touch from God. You may not be able to do anything big but can you open the door for an elderly lady? Will you be bold enough to pray in public? When you do, you’ll create a chain of events that will touch many lives.

Jesus was a champion at showing kindness to people. He made time for people. He was approachable. Even the children felt safe around him. He not only did mighty miracles but he had time to talk to ordinary folks like the Samaritan woman by the well. He made time to have dinner with the sinners and tax-collectors of his day.

Mark Twain said, “Kindness is the language in which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” This week, my challenge for you is to have an open heart. In traffic, let the person slip in front of you. Let go of a pet peeve with your child or spouse. Don’t join in the office gossip. If the boss is unreasonable, let it go. Forgive someone even if he/she hasn’t said sorry. One of the greatest inheritances you can ever leave your children is to teach them to be kind. Being considerate to others will take your children further in life than any formal education. Show them by example. This is the holiday season folks. Let’s be a little kinder and considerate to people whom God brings in our path.

Spread Your Influence: http://www.buildinternational.org


No comments:

Post a Comment