Building People. Spreading Hope.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Reach Out


Holidays are charged with emotions. Some are going through the best times of their lives while others are experiencing the opposite. No matter what sadness or joy we’re experiencing, it’s always healthy to reach out to others.

The other day, I was in a business meeting where there were a bunch of new people in the room. I made my rounds and greeted everybody and prayed for a few in the room. When I sat down for lunch, I felt a tug on my heart to reach out to a certain individual.

When I looked at her, she looked poised and full of confidence. I thought to myself, “This woman is alright. She doesn’t need my encouragement.” The more I lingered, the more I could feel the Lord nudging me. I kept debating and reasoning in my heart.

Just before the meeting ended, she left the room. I gave a deep sigh of relief but the Holy Spirit kept bugging me. After a couple of minutes, I had to obey God. I left the room and found the lady in the parking lot about to speed off. I flagged her down and said, “Listen, I know we don’t know each other very well. I don’t want to embarrass you or myself. But I felt God sent me to ask you if everything was alright?”

I had barely spoken and she began to break down. With tears welling up in her eyes, she told me how her young son was sick and she’s worried about him and the upcoming holidays. I encouraged and prayed with her right there in the parking lot. By the time we’re done, she left with a big smile on her face and I knew that God had sparked a renewed hope in her life.

On my way back to my meetings, I asked God to forgive me for debating. I was glad that the Holy Spirit won in spite of my stubbornness.

Today I ask you to be open and willing to reach out to others during this holiday season. People may not look like they need help but some of them are going through terrible times. Let’s be sensitive to the leading of the Spirit to reach out to others. Be kind in traffic, the grocery store, and even to your own family members! When God puts a needy person in front of you, it’s your cue to act. You can’t help everybody but do something for the ones you can. This is the spirit of Christmas!

Once, Jesus was ministering in a remote region and it went late into the evening. There were no grocery stores around so the disciples recommended that the crowds be disburse to their homes. At once, Jesus corrected their thinking and asked them to provide the evening meal.

When the disciples took inventory, they only found five loaves of bread and two fish. They brought them to Jesus. He blessed it and the rest is history. Five thousand men plus women and children were fed and they picked up twelve baskets of leftovers! Friend, you may not have much in your hand as you’d like but if you give God what you have He will bless and multiply it.

I’ve learnt that it’s not so much what we have but whether or not it has God’s blessing that makes all the difference. When you use what you have to reach out to others, God makes it His personal business to supply what you need. Don’t wait for a lightning strike to help others. Don’t ignore the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.

Friend, this holiday season let’s reach out to others. Invite someone to your party or church. Be hospitable. Ask a single family to join you for dinner. Call and/or visit your aging parents. Check on the poor, lonely, and the destitute. If God puts people to remembrance, call and check on them. Don’t just buy gifts for your kids; pick up something for your struggling neighbors as well. What you do for others, God will make happen for you. If you’re struggling today, remember, Jesus is the reason for the season. He came for you! You’re His fatal attraction. You’re so vital and valuable to Him that He gave His life on the Cross for you. Friend, there’s hope. He will never leave you nor forsake you. God knows what you need and how to get it to you. Let’s rejoice and reach out to others. I’m praying for you!

“Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I'll give it to you"-- when you already have it with you (Proverbs 3:28 NIV).

Celebrate Christ, Influence Lives: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment