Building People. Spreading Hope.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Shake it Off


We all go through disappointment, doubt, and discouragement. It is not wrong to feel defeated at times. However, if we don’t learn to shake off our disappointments quickly, then we’ll lose valuable time regretting things beyond our control.

Most of our disappointments are due to our lack of better judgement. I know people who made a mistake thirty years ago but they’re still sitting on the sideline of life lamenting it. They’ve allowed themselves to be the prisoners of their past. Others are victims of their fellowmen. Unjust things were said or done to them. It was unfair. However, they’ve allowed unforgiveness and bitterness to take root in them. Now they’re breathing but not living. No matter how the disappointment or hurt got into you, you’ve got to let it go. Unless we learn to quickly shake off the negative words, experiences, and deeds done against us, we will not live a fulfilled life.

The other day I was putting gas in my car. I saw a young attendant, Rebecca, cleaning up the trash can right by my car. I asked her if she was going to college. She said, “Yes.” I was very impressed and told her that she was going to go places in her life. She smiled and moved on to the next trash can. I was still waiting to fill up my tank when the Holy Spirit gently nudged me in reminder that I hadn’t done anything practical to show her God’s love. When I finished filling up my gas tank, I drove around looking for her and called her to my window. When she came over, I gave her one of my inspirational CDs and some money to buy her lunch. I reminded her again that God loved her and He will reward her hard work. Rebecca was very happy and grateful.

I was feeling good about reaching out to Rebecca. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was driving. Accidentally, I was exiting the gas station from the entry point. Immediately I realized my mistake. The first car came by while I was waiting for the traffic to clear. I had my hands up in apology. He didn’t seem to mind and went around my car at the wrong exit. I still had my hands up in apology when the second car came around. This man wasn’t as forgiving as the first one. He was shaking his fingers and yelling at me. Even though the windows were closed, I could feel the rage in this man! I was so taken aback. Of course, I was in the wrong exit. It was a mistake but I felt like rolling down my windows and giving this stranger a piece of my mind. Thank God the Holy Spirit prevailed. I just smiled and gestured apologies and drove away. This kept bothering me for almost an hour. Every time, I had to shake off the negative and remind myself how God’s love was able to touch Rebecca!

When discouragement and hurtful thoughts come to your mind, I suggest you do the same. Shake off the guilt, shame and criticisms. Forgive the people who have done you wrong. Replace your negative feelings with positive ones. Nothing is worth mulling over past mistakes, negative thoughts, comments or actions of others. It will only drag you down. Shake it off and step it up!

A couple of months ago, I was driving down the road by my house. I had a lot on my mind before a missions trip. I was coming to stop at a traffic light and I saw some birds on the road. This is common and obviously, I didn’t pay much attention to it as they always fly away. Well, this time they didn’t. I ran over three of them and they were just babies. I felt so horrible. I reversed my car to see if I could rescue them but it was too late. The mama bird was sitting by the road watching! I felt so guilty and condemned myself. It took me days to get over it. Finally, I had to do what I’m telling you today. I had to shake it off and move on. Friend, there will be times in your life when you have to forgive yourself. If we don’t have a healthy perspective, we’ll live a life of regret and lamentation.

Today, may I encourage you to shake it off and move on? We cannot control others or justify their actions, but we can choose to forgive them and move on. Let us not be so hard on ourselves. When we’ve done something wrong, the best thing we can do is to ask for forgiveness and press forward. God is not a scorekeeper for our faults. The biggest button on His computer is the delete button. My question is, “Will you press the delete button as well?” God has forgiven you; it’s time to forgive others and yourself. I love you and I’m praying for you!

“So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1 NLT).

Be a Person of Influence: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment