Building People. Spreading Hope.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Health is Wealth


God created us in different shape, size and form. We’re not supposed to look like Barbie doll but we’re all supposed to live healthy. Our body is not only where we live but it is also where God lives. We’re responsible to take care of our health.

We’re all made up of body, mind, spirit and soul. Therefore, it is not just enough to focus on physical exercise we need to also pay attention to our mental and spiritual health. Today, let’s discuss some of the major areas we can improve our health.

Get active. There’s a tremendous awareness in our society about the benefit of staying fit. Many of you my friends are shining example of staying fit. Facebook is full of entries of exercise triumphs. I love it! Some of my friends are exercising both for them and me. Most of us however need to make an effort for it. I’m not greatly motivated to exercise but I’ve realized this, if I don’t do what’s needed now, I’ll live shorter and unproductive life. Here’s the simple key. Exercise! No matter what you do, how long and how often – get active. Anything you do is better than nothing.

Don’t worry! Worry and stress will send you early to grave. We’re all tempted to worry about something every day. When we worry, we change nothing. A Nepalese proverb says, “The tiger in our mind is bigger than the tiger in the jungle.” We often worry about things that have no basis for it.

Yesterday, I had lunch with an old friend. I had brought my laptop with me to show him some pictures of what God was doing on the mission field. I had put my computer down by my chair and when we got done visiting, I completely forgot about my laptop. I drove almost fifteen minutes before I remembered my laptop. I start to worry. I took a sharp U-turn but I was distraught. I had all my important documents in my laptop. Negative stories of my friends loosing stuff began to flood my mind. The tigers in my mind were becoming bigger and bigger. Finally, I remembered what I often advise people to do – prayer! I prayed briefly and asked God to protect my laptop. When I returned to the restaurant, I looked under my table and there was no computer. I panicked! When I asked the staff at the counter, she said, “What color is your computer?” I said, “It’s an HP, gray color.” Immediately, she handed me my computer. I was so relieved! I thanked God and walked away happy. The point of this story is: we can worry or we can pray. Prayer brings results worry destroys our health.

Watch your intake. A great emphasis has been put on our eating intake. It’s important that we eat and drink healthy. A lot more sinister enemy is what we feed our minds. When we watch negative news reports over and over, when we indulge in trash TV and internet we damage ourselves much greater than bad choices of food. It’s ok to stay current with news and world affairs but don’t get addicted to negative media or attitude. Keep a positive picture of yourself and the world. Protect your mental health by guarding what you read, listen and watch. The movies that play in your mind most frequently will be the reality you’ll live in life. Turn off the negative feeds.

Serve others. One of the most selfish things you can do for yourself is to serve others. When you help others, you release a happy hormone called endorphin. A sense of purpose, self-worth and significance will rejuvenate your body, mind and soul. Reach out to at least one person every day. When you’re a blessing to others, God Himself will bless you. Friends, let’s take care of our body. Our health is our wealth!

“Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you” (Exodus 23:25 NIV).

Click Here to Spread the Message of Hope: www.buildinternational.org

Invite Sandy Anderson to Speak: Call 972 800 4346, Email: buildinternational@sbcglobal.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment